Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ethics? Not so much...

This morning another Bethel staff member and I needed to renew certification for using a web-based program assisting people in need who come to the church for help.

This portion of the training was to begin at 11am.  Three people not from Bethel had needed additional training in the longer module, and they had already been in session for a couple of hours.  The first part had gone a bit faster than anticipated, so they were halfway through the renewal part when the other Bethel staff person and I arrived.

No problem.  The trainer would continue with the remainder of the last module, and she would repeat the first part for the two of us from Bethel.  Having completed the training for the first three people, the leader handed out tests that needed completed before certification to use the program would be awarded.  The trainer then completed the process for us from Bethel.  Meanwhile, the other three were completing their tests.

My colleague and I were given the ten question tests.  As I read the first question, I could see no apparent answer I needed to offer.  The blanks were filled in with words in bold.  I went to the second question--multiple choice.  But it appeared to me that the answer to that question, too, had already been identified.  A quick look at the rest of the test revealed that all the questions had been answered.  I told the leader that I didn't understand the test--that it appeared I had the key to the test--could I have a different sheet?  The leader looked at the sheet and apologized.  Indeed, all the answers had been filled in.  When she looked at the rest of the tests, they, too, were all complete.  Every one had the answers. 

I wondered why the previous three had not alerted the instructor to the problem.  Would that not have been the right thing to do?

Oh...  You ask the subject of the test?  Ethics.  Oh, my.

No comments:

Post a Comment