Sunday, February 20, 2011

Shed For You

During the serving of communion today, my eyes were drawn to the floor just to my right.  I am disappointed that after each of our two services I got busy with people and forgot to take a picture.

If I had taken a picture, you would have seen a three inch strip of wood at the edge of the first carpeted step.  Directly in the middle of that strip of wood was a splash of red wine, glistening in the light.  It was almost as if someone had purposefully placed the wine there.

It did serve some purpose.  In a few weeks (March 9) we will enter the season of Lent.  In that season we focus on Christ's journey to the cross.  On Good Friday we note with both dismay and awe his sacrifice, even the spilling of blood.

This morning I was transported to that place as I was serving communion.  "The blood of Christ shed for you."  "The blood of Christ shed for you."  "The blood of Christ shed for you."  Over and over, to all the worshipers.  And next to me was the spilling of the wine--the blood of Christ in, with, and under.

I wish had taken a picture.  But maybe these words can transport you, too.  Christ--one who came for you in love and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment