Tuesday, February 8, 2011

From Where will the Wood Come?

The bracelets made by the Nicaraguan carpenter were beautiful, as were the earrings and rings.  They were turned from native Nicaraguan wood--wood that is in very short supply due to deforestation.  In fact, the carpenter can get no more wood since it is illegal for citizens to cut down any more trees.

That which you see in the second picture is a part of the small stock of wood that the carpenter believes will last him another two years--if he is a careful steward of what he has.  He doesn't make tables or dressers--nothing of any size.  He needs to make small items so that his wood will last longer.

I told him I was a carpenter and made furniture.  He wondered what wood I used.  He was as unfamiliar with my red oak and walnut as I was unfamiliar with his native woods.  I almost felt bad telling him that I make bedroom furniture and bookcases and high chairs for grandchildren.  I use a lot of wood.  I even bought an entire used white oak wine barrel from Napa Valley, California, so that I could make interesting objects from the slats.

What will he do in two years when he runs out of wood, I asked.  He shrugged his shoulders.  He would find something.  He was just glad that we from the USA were there to hear his story, see his skill, and buy his reasonably priced wares.  Half the population of Nicaragua lives on less than $2 a day.  The bracelets, so beautiful, were only $3.  I bought four.  He was so grateful.

The human spirit is an amazing thing.  Even when faced with scarcity, one carpenter shows great gratitude.  He is a good steward of all that God has given him.

No comments:

Post a Comment