Friday, May 20, 2016

Joy, Joy, Joy

Scores of us had just finished a conference in Palm Springs, California.  (Really, why do we have conferences when it is 100 degrees in California and a beautiful 75 degrees in Minnesota?)

The car in the picture left the conference hotel parking lot the same time as I.  This pastor waved at me with the biggest smile.  We were both headed to airports to fly home.

He was driving a convertible.  I was driving a well used Toyota Corolla with 85,000 miles and the scent of pine wafting through the air.  That's okay.  I had chosen the cheapest rental I could find.  I probably should have looked beyond Oftentimes Successful Car Rental.  But it worked for me.

Back to the convertible.  At the first light I caught up to him.  He was bebopping to the music from his car stereo.  He was enjoying the 100 degree sunlight with the top down.  I suspect he splurged to rent a convertible since we pastors don't drive convertibles as a rule.  Especially in Minnesota.

It was just pure joy.  He had come from a good conference.  He had the world by the tail in his red convertible.  And he was going home to people he loved.

Joy, joy, joy.  The whole world could see his joy, and he shared it.

I hope I didn't look grumpy in my Toyota.  I have joy to share, too.  It is the best news of all.  Better than a convertible on a hot day.  Better than air conditioning with a pine scent.  This joy has to do with a Good Shepherd who goes with us everywhere--one who gives us joy, joy, joy, joy down in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. How right you are. That joy lasts forever...he had to return the red convertible while you took your joy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight, Ed. All the things of this world will eventually fade away--not the joy in Christ!

    ReplyDelete