Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Royal Dinner...Really!

Six of us gathered last night at a Mexican Restaurant across from the Olmsted County jail and the Government Center.  Kathy could see all kinds of activity in the parking area behind the jail--lots of black SUVs and men in dark suits.  Eventually a few SUVs came across the road, and apparently into the restaurant's parking lot.  Very big men in black suits started to come into the restaurant.  A booth of four sat behind me.  A table a six sat opposite and kitty corner from our table.

Our group of six tried to figure out what was going on.  The largest of the men stood at the top of the staircase.  He didn't prevent people from going downstairs where the restrooms are, but he was vigilant.  We carried on with our dinner--great stories and laughter--but our curiosity was not satisfied by the time we prepared to leave.

I told my party that I was going to the bathroom and do reconnaissance.    For some reason, they didn't try to stop me...

As I passed the first step going to basement, the very large man in the black suit spoke into his wrist.  I had no misconception as to what he was doing.  As I turned the corner to go the last half of the staircase, the eyes of another very large man in a black suit observed my descent.  I made the appropriate turn--into the bathroom instead of into the dining area.  Peripherally, I could see a large party at a long table.

On the way out I lingered only slightly for a better view before going upstairs. At a quick glance, I could see that most were Middle Eastern, and there were only a very few woman at the far end of the table.  Security people were keeping close watch.

I reported back to my group, so another decided he had to go to the bathroom.  Same procedure.  But he actually asked the guard at the bottom of the stairs what was going on.  It turns out that the group included the president and vice president of Iraq, along with an entourage--32 people total.

Wow--we had dined with a president and vice president--albeit separated by a one floor and by some very able men.

Last week Christians the world over read a story about Jesus dining with two men in a village called Emmaus.  Though they had visited with him significantly on the road, the two men did not recognize the resurrected Jesus until he broke bread at table with them.

It is often in eating with one another that we come to better know each other and enjoy the gifts that God has given to us.  I pray that you are deliberate in breaking bread with others.  It would help, of course, if you were dining on the same floor and big men were not trying to keep you apart.

You don't have to worry about that in Christ.  He has promised to be with us in the bread and wine.  God's peace and grace to you this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment