Wednesday, October 13, 2010

You're Thankful for What?

Every week we have a staff devotional time before our staff meeting.  This week one of our office staff, Judy Gittus, offered us some wisdom about thankfulness as we approach a season of Thanksgiving.  Here is her list:

... the taxes I pay because it means I'm employed

... The clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat

... my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine

... A lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.

... the spot I find at the end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking

... all the complaining I hear about the government because it means we have freedom of speech

... my huge heating bill because it means I am warm

... the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear

... the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are near

... weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I've been productive

... the alarm that goes off in the morning hours because it means I'm alive

... the friends and family I can share this message with to remind us all what is important in life.

I imagine we could quibble about one or two of those.  So often we grumble about most of them.  But in the blessed part of the world in which we live, even the things we might grumble about can bring blessings.

For what will you be thankful in this season?

3 comments:

  1. Would love to have you leave a comment about something unusual for which you give thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in the hospital waiting for Chloe to be born, I would hear the babies crying in the middle of the night and kept thinking 'I bet those parents are so tired and wishing their babies would just stop crying but there were also some I met whose babies never cried because they didn't stay in this world long enough to do so.' I am so thankful that my baby girl cried in the middle of the night and continues to do so. Even though she drives me crazy, that crying reminds me that she is healthy and alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great addition to this list, drewbie!

    ReplyDelete