Saturday, September 18, 2010

Harmon Killebrew and Jesus




Last night Kathy and I saw our second Twins game at Target Field in Minneapolis.  Taking a different route into the stadium, we saw the statue of Harmon Killebrew--my favorite Twin as I grew up in the 1960's.  You might have guessed that since in the picture I am wearing a Killebrew jersey which I received for my birthday (a month early!).

Like so many children, I hoped that I would one day play professional baseball.  I matured earlier than classmates, and I could hit the ball a long ways.  I fashioned myself as a home run hitter like Killebrew.

In third grade we needed to do a report on what we "wanted to do when we grew up".  On the cover of my report were two pictures.  One of them was a picture of Killebrew.  I would play baseball in the summertime.

But that would leave many months of the year to pursue my other love--the church.  The other picture on that report was of a pastor.  From my earliest days of recollection, I felt called to be a pastor in the church.  From elementary school on, people would encourage me and affirm in various ways my pursuit of being a pastor.

This picture--the Head of Christ by Warner Sallman--was hanged over my bed, along with many other Sallman lithographs that I received from perfect Sunday School attendance.

There were many people I admired when I was young (including many Minnesota Vikings players starting in 1961).  So many teachers and coaches and friends and relatives were formative in my upbringing.  But Harmon Killebrew and Jesus were on a different plane than most.

I once met Harmon Killebrew in the Minneapolis airport.  He was kind to exchange a few words with me.  It is my privilege to encounter the Risen Christ every day.  Anywhere.  All times.  Harmon remains a hero in my book.  Jesus has turned into something much more real--a Savior and Lord.

Who are your heroes?

1 comment:

  1. It is sad to hear that Harmon has gone into hospice. There is an outpouring of condolences for him and his family. I will be wearing my number 3 jersey often in the next days/weeks in his honor.

    ReplyDelete